Effect loop

need a feature, suggest here

Effect loop

Postby tristan.tarrant » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:58 am

Hi all,

I use the Guitarix effects in combination with a real preamp (a Mesa Triaxis). I use a 2in 4out soundcards and my signal chain is as follows:

Guitar > IN1
IN1 > [Calf Gate, GxWah, GxTubeScreamer] > OUT1
OUT1 > Triaxis input
Triaxis output > IN2
IN2> [GxCabinet, Calf Mono Input, Calf Reverb, Gxdigital_delay_st] > OUT2

I use Carla as an LV2 Host to control, but I really find it inflexible, compared to the Guitarix rack.

When using plain Guitarix, I control everything via MIDI with an FCB1010 (modded with the UNO firmware) so that my bottom row of pedals switches the program and the top row acts as stompboxes for the effects, and the two expression pedals are mapped to the volume and wah respectively.
What I would like is a mono effects loop plugin which I can put in the Guitarix rack. This plugin would essentially create two new Jack ports (send and return) so that I can put my external gear in between. I guess a stereo plugin would also be useful for other applications.
Obviously this effect should be "bypassable", like all other Guitarix plugins, so that I can include/exclude the external chain.

What do you think ?

Tristan
tristan.tarrant

Re: Effect loop

Postby brummer10 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:12 am

Hi Tristan

Well, there is a insert already, just plug your amp between gx_head_amp out_0 and gx_head_fx in_0.
Then you'll have the mono rack as pre-rack and the stereo-rack as post rack.

The only issue then will be that the cabinet plug is only mono, but, you can use the stereo convolver instead, and load a dedicated cab impulse file into it.

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby tristan.tarrant » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:12 am

Hi Hermann,

yes that is a possibility, but at that point I cannot have programs which exclude the loop, since it would be setup outside of Guitarix.
tristan.tarrant

Postby brummer10 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:08 am

I can add a bypass switch for the insert ports, so that it could be part of a preset, but a plugin which could create insert ports wouldn't be a trivial change to the engine.
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby brummer10 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:44 am

Okay, it's done. I've added a bypass switch for the jack insert ports.
It's available in our git repository now. The state of the switch will be saved in presets, so you could have your programs with in/excluded insert loops.

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby tristan.tarrant » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Hermann,

I've tried it and it works great !
I'll try and get some samples recorded to show off my new super rack :)

Thanks a lot for doing this !
tristan.tarrant

Return to Suggestion Box