Segfault with calf-reverb after a calf plugins update

Found a bug ? Report here

Segfault with calf-reverb after a calf plugins update

Postby Yruama_Lairba » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:36 pm

This bug has been previously reported in the calf bug tracker ( https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf/issues/91 ) but after some "investigation" it's seems to be a guitarix issue.

the problem happen when we are using calf reverb from calf 0.0.60 (typically jessie-backports) and when we update calf-plugins from git 72b13fa. guitarix crash when we try to activate the plugin from the rack.

In fact, calf team have reworked their plugins interfaces and some of them have new prameters for visualisation and guitarix doens't seems to like this change.

i found a workaround by deactivating the plugin, delete corresponding file in "$HOME/.config/guitarix/plugins/" and re-enbable the plugin. So i think the problem comes from outdated informations in this file.
Yruama_Lairba

Re: Segfault with calf-reverb after a calf plugins update

Postby brummer10 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:58 am

Thanks for the report, and yes, it is a guitarix issue.
But, most host's which work with project files (consider a preset, or simple a "state to load" as project file), suffer from this.
Additional ports in a LV2 plugin wont be a problem, but, when the order of existing ports in the ttl file changed, that will. (LV2 ports are indexed by the LV2 specs)
Usual way to solve that is just deactivate the plug and press "save". That will delete the saved settings for this plug, you don't need to delete the file by hand.
After that you could load it again and a new settings file will be generated.
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby Yruama_Lairba » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:41 pm

But, most host's which work with project files (consider a preset, or simple a "state to load" as project file), suffer from this.

I have tried to save Qtractor and Carla project with old Calf reverb version and load this project with new Calf reverb version, no problem. Ardour don't work with calf LV2 on my system, but it's another problem. I don't don't know other LV2 host that can save plugin state in a project file.

Usual way to solve that is just deactivate the plug and press "save". That will delete the saved settings for this plug, you don't need to delete the file by hand.

no, the file is never deleted by guitarix.
Yruama_Lairba

Postby brummer10 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:43 am

Yruama_Lairba wrote:I have tried to save Qtractor and Carla project with old Calf reverb version and load this project with new Calf reverb version, no problem. Ardour don't work with calf LV2 on my system, but it's another problem. I don't don't know other LV2 host that can save plugin state in a project file.

As far I know, Carla failed in this case to display the curve-animations in MultiChorus, for example.

Yruama_Lairba wrote:

no, the file is never deleted by guitarix.

Un-tick the box and press save, definitely delete the saved settings file. If not, something is wrong with your guitarix installation.

@EDIT//
Well, when you've changed settings in the Detail section, you need to press "Restore Defaults", to get the file deleted by guitarix.

However, I've added now a check for changed ports, and a error message will pop up in such a case, which will tell you what to do to resolve the error.

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Return to Bug reports