Quite Simply, How Do I Get This to Work?

You need help with guitarix, ask here

Quite Simply, How Do I Get This to Work?

Postby drfunkenstein » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:44 am

Hello all,

I don't know the difference between Ubuntu and Debian and I couldn't compile this software if you offered me $1500. I'm just wondering how I can plug in my guitar and go here. I am running Linux Mint 18.3, an M-Audio Fast Track interface, and the latest version of Guitarix.

How do I make it make sounds?

Thanks.
drfunkenstein

Re: Quite Simply, How Do I Get This to Work?

Postby koda95 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Not quite sure if I have understood your problem... but...

As i understood what you wrote - you already have the Guitarix software installed?

If so ... the next 2 - TWO - things you need is this:

1) Install he AUDIO SYSTEM called "Jack".
2) Together with JACK, you would have great benefit of also installing the software "QjackCtl" (this is a small software to setup and start the JACK audio system).

The thing is - Guitarix MUST have the Jack audio system started in order for you to get any sound... and therefore you can use QjackCtl to start the Jack-system FIRST, and then Guitarix afterwards.

Hope this helps :-) :metal2:
koda95

Postby drfunkenstein » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 am

Thanks.

I have installed both Guitarix and JACK and qjackctl and no sound comes out.

Pretty much the only thing I did was to set my audio interface as the input device.

Guitarix throws some errors upon starting...

This is what sucks about the whole Linux thing, like I'd rather pay $100 for this and have it actually work. When you take into account your opportunity costs for having to learn all this extra stuff about computers just to simply install and run software, you guys are actually losing money
drfunkenstein

Postby brummer10 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:05 am

drfunkenstein wrote:Guitarix throws some errors upon starting...

You may post them here in order to get help.

drfunkenstein wrote:This is what sucks about the whole Linux thing,

You may get started here:
http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... d-guitarix

and in special you need to learn about the jack audio server. This one is a bit different then what you are used to use on other OS's.
http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... arted-jack
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby koda95 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:37 am

Since you have Linux Mint 18.3 - then I would HIGHLY recommend you to check out KXStudio.

KXStudio is is a collection of applications and plugins for professional audio production. It is a specific repository for Ubuntu-based Linux systems like Linux Mint - and provides you a fantastic solution to get all the music/audio software installed and correctly set up - inclusive Jack. They also provide a low-latency kernel.

I have been using KXStudio for a long time... can't be without it. It makes things so much easier, since they already has done the hard and complicated job with tuning and setting things up.

Check it out here: http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Why reinvent the wheel all by yourself when someone already has done it for you? :D
koda95

Return to need help with guitarix