Serial-Midi controler and version discrepancy

You need help with guitarix, ask here

Serial-Midi controler and version discrepancy

Postby BrunoBraten » Wed May 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi Guitarix users and developers!

I'm using Guitarix since half year, preinstalled from AV Linux (Vers. 35.0). It is great! Thx a lot!

Now I've build a Arduino midi controler with the code from here http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-MIDI-Controller/.

The Jack midi driver is set to RAW, for midi serial bridge I use Hairless MIDI http://projectgus.github.io/hairless-midiserial/. I've tested Guitarix and it works, I've also tried with ttymidi, but didn't work for me. I also know that there is a official arduino midi libary. But it works and I could use the code at once.
At last I've made a backup with SysBack.

Then I've uninstalled guitarix and compiled the version 35.3 and installed SooperLooper, too.
But now, my midi controler doesn't work any more :roll: I know, I shouldn't do that :|

I've tried to uninstall guitarix with
Code: Select all
apt-get uninstall guitarix
, but got an error "Guitarix not installed". At my 'download/extracted Guitarix path' I've done
./waf uninstall
and removed the directory. Then I've installed guitarix 35.2 via
apt-get install guitarix
again.

Now I have two versions of Guitarix?!?
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (114.93 KiB) Viewed 141 times

I'm wondered that my MIDI Controler is still working for Ardour, Mixbus, etc.
Screenshot_2017-05-03_13-49-07.png
Screenshot_2017-05-03_13-49-07.png (34.83 KiB) Viewed 141 times

I also used Sysback to restore to my default settings, but didn't change anything - great tool :metal:

This are my settings:
settings.jpg
settings.jpg (229.22 KiB) Viewed 141 times

Does anyone know whats going on with my serial-midi-controler for guitarix and why any uninstall/restore doesn't take effect?

helpless,
Bruno
BrunoBraten

Re: Serial-Midi controler and version discrepancy

Postby brummer10 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:42 am

Hi Bruno

Welcome a board.
BrunoBraten wrote:I'm using Guitarix since half year, preinstalled from AV Linux (Vers. 35.0). It is great! Thx a lot!

Nice to hear you like it.

BrunoBraten wrote:m using Guitarix since half year, preinstalled from AV Linux (Vers. 35.0). It is great! Thx a lot!

Now I've build a Arduino midi controler with the code from here http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino ... ontroller/.

The Jack midi driver is set to RAW, for midi serial bridge I use Hairless MIDI http://projectgus.github.io/hairless-midiserial/. I've tested Guitarix and it works, I've also tried with ttymidi, but didn't work for me. I also know that there is a official arduino midi libary. But it works and I could use the code at once.

Great, for sure a lot of fun.

BrunoBraten wrote:Then I've uninstalled guitarix and compiled the version 35.3 and installed SooperLooper, too.
But now, my midi controler doesn't work any more

What do you mean by don't work any more? So guitarix starts and works as expected, but wont recognise your midi events? And you've connected it like in the screenshot below and send midi CC messages while midi learn is active on a controller? No event is shown on the widget? Strange.

BrunoBraten wrote:Now I have two versions of Guitarix?!?

No, that is just a version miss match between the package version and the packed guitarix version.
This looks like it been the ersion from KXStudio.
It stated git 2017/04/24, at this time I've pushed the version already to 0.35.3 that's what is shown in the guitarix help widget.
BrunoBraten wrote:I'm wondered that my MIDI Controler is still working for Ardour, Mixbus, etc.

I only see noteON/noteOFF messages here, guitarix only recognise midi CC messages, note messages wont be recognise because guitarix isn't a synth.
Please try with CC messages.

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby BrunoBraten » Thu May 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi Hermann,

What do you mean by don't work any more? So guitarix starts and works as expected, but wont recognise your midi events? And you've connected it like in the screenshot below and send midi CC messages while midi learn is active on a controller? No event is shown on the widget? Strange.

That's exactly what I mean!

I only see noteON/noteOFF messages here, guitarix only recognise midi CC messages, note messages wont be recognise because guitarix isn't a synth.

...and THAT's the solution!

I just changed the code to send controlChange messages and it works like a charm :D
I don't know why my first test setup on a breadboard with two button's works. The code was the same :?:

Now, Ardour doesn't recognise my buttons anymore :lol: - but this should be resolved with some testing of CC messages.

Thanks for help, regards
Bruno
BrunoBraten

Postby BrunoBraten » Fri May 05, 2017 6:07 pm

One more question,

how do I switch with MIDI through my presets. I like to assign two buttons for simple up/down?
Is there a special CC command assigned or is there even a MIDI learn function?

Regards
Bruno
BrunoBraten

Postby brummer10 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:21 pm

It's midi bank select / program change.
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby gimmeapill » Thu May 11, 2017 3:45 pm

brummer10 wrote:I only see noteON/noteOFF messages here, guitarix only recognise midi CC messages, note messages wont be recognise because guitarix isn't a synth.

regards
hermann

Coudn't we get those midi notes recognized as valid midi messages in the first place? Midi notes can still be useful for parameter automation...
It's a pain not to be able to change presets or mute/unmute stuff with my small nanopad2 in Guitarix standalone when most other applications have no problem with that (let's say for example hydrogen, renoise, ardour, qtractor). I can also imagine someone with a keyboard using the highest or lowest octaves for parameter automation would find some use for that.

BR,

LX
gimmeapill

Return to need help with guitarix