LV2 GUIs and Ardour and GCC ABI mess

guitarix LV2 plugs

LV2 GUIs and Ardour and GCC ABI mess

Postby lhm100 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:17 am

I am trying to get ardour (5.11) to load the guitarix LV2 GUIs. Others have reported this issue as relating to an ABI change between GCC4 and 5. However, I have tried all 4 combinations of
Ardour GCC4 and GCC5 builds with both the Fedora 26 repo guitarix (0.35.2) and a locally built (0.35.6git) using GCC 7.1.1.

All combinations produce the same error:
suil error: Unable to open UI library /usr/lib64/lv2/gx_amp.lv2/gx_amp_gui.so (/usr/lib64/lv2/gx_amp.lv2/gx_amp_gui.so: undefined symbol: _ZN4Glib7ustringaSEONSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE)

I have also installed Carla to test with. Carla DOES properly displays the custom guitarix GUIs of both the repo version and my locally built versions of guitarix.

In the related post:
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=16978
The user "tramp" shows a compiled version of guitarix that WILL load GUIs in Ardour. Anyone know how he did that?

Note that the audio processing of the LV2 plugins functions perfectly for me in Ardour using the default controls ardour can provide to any plugin. It's just the attempted opening of the custom UI that does not work. (it does not crash - just lists the above error 3 times in the ardour console)

Thanks for great sounding plugins!
Now I just need them great looking, too!

L
lhm100

Re: LV2 GUIs and Ardour and GCC ABI mess

Postby brummer10 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:04 am

lhm100 wrote:The user "tramp" shows a compiled version of guitarix that WILL load GUIs in Ardour. Anyone know how he did that?

Yes, this is done by compile against the same set of library's then Ardour use.

The way's to handle this issue are, build Ardour and guitarix both yourself, or use the versions your distribution provide for both.

For the versions Ardour provide as binary you'll find here a binary installer from guitarix which use the same set of library's then Ardour use:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/guitar ... n/download

Note that this is for the GCC5 version of Ardour.
Note also that you should remove any previous installation of guitarix before using this installer.

installation works as root (sudo or whatever you use)
Code: Select all
./guitarix2-amd-gcc5.run

for the case that it didn't work for you you could uninstall it by running (again as root)
Code: Select all
./guitarix2-amd-gcc5.run -- uninstall

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby Rodney » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 pm

All the plugins work just fine for me, except one: JCM 800preST (stereo). No matter how hard I try: mono track, stereo track, different ardour versions, several different pinout configurations, the plugin simply won't work at all, no effect on the track at all. I tried other stereo plugins, gx_amplifier-X stereo for example, and they work just fine.

Thanks a bunch as always guys for all the fantastic work you do!

Keep on rockin'!
Rodney

Postby brummer10 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:17 am

Hi Rodney

Do you talk about the binary installer or in general about JCM 800preST?

regards
hermann
brummer10
Site Admin

Postby Rodney » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi Brummer,

I mean the plugin in general, I have tried to use it in three different linux distros (ubuntu studio, kxlinux and avlinux) in different ardour versions and unfortunately it doesn't work at all. You can add the plugin to a mono track or a stereo track, it won't have any effect on them at all. I tried other different stereo plugins like Amplifier-X stereo for example, and they all work fine, except the JCM800preST. The mono JCM800pre works just fine.

THanks a lot Brummer! As always you rock!

PS: How is the power amp section of the JCM800 coming along? I already think the JCM800pre is sick! I think with the poweramp I will be blown away!

Att.: Rodney
Rodney

Return to LV2 plugs